About Clogau Gold
In 1854, gold was accidently found at the Clogau St. David's gold mine, previously a copper mine. The Clogau Gold story, however, didn't begin until 1989 when the Roberts family acquired the abandoned mine. When hopes to open the mine as a tourist attraction were dashed, it was decided to re-open the mine to extract the remaining gold. The mine re-opened and a few years worth of small scale mining began in 1992.
To fully appreciate the uniqueness of Clogau gold, the decision was made to use it to produce jewellery of the utmost beauty and quality, using Wales as the sole design inspiration. So, in 1994, the Clogau Gold brand was born with the launch of a 5-piece jewellery range.
Today, Clogau is a second generation family run business, still located in North Wales. Diminishing supplies of the gold caused the eventual closure of the mine in 1998. No gold mining takes place in Wales today, making Clogau's reserves finite, and Welsh gold probably the most covetable in the world. A touch of this very same rare gold is included in each piece of fine jewellery, beautifully handcrafted by Clogau.
A Royal Tradition
For over 100 years, the British Royal Family has favoured Welsh gold for its exclusivity and rosy pink luster.
When Prince Edward was invested as Prince of Wales in 1911, his investiture regalia, formally known as the Honours of the Principality of Wales, were fashioned from pure Welsh gold. It is so precious that a single nugget was donated to create the wedding ring of the Queen Mother in 1923. Subsequently, later generations of the Royal Family's wedding rings were made from the supply, including Princess Margaret, the late Princess Diana, Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall. Even Her Royal Majesty The Queen's wedding ring is crafted from pure Welsh gold from the Clogau St David's mine.
Most recently, Prince William and Catherine Middleton followed this time-honoured tradition into its 88th year. The Duchess of Cambridge's wedding ring, crafted by Royal Jewellery Wartskis, was made from pure Welsh gold, gifted to the Prince by his grandmother, The Queen.